Friday, August 26, 2016

Wind Cave National Park

Very purple, but the pie was good!
Friday, was spent mostly getting caught up on laundry and domestic goddess chores. We did take a few hours to visit the town of Custer, hike to the top of a overlook, and scope out the local eateries. We hit the Begging Burro for Mexican food and made note of the Purple Pie Place for a return visit. (The raspberry-rhubarb-jalapeno pie was excellent!)

On Saturday, 8/20, we visited Wind Cave National Park and took a look underneath the prairie, then did a 4.5-mile hike across the top (And yes, we still had to dodge some bison!) On the way into the park we spotted a coyote, he was young and inquisitive, so he was checking us out too.

The tour of the caves was fun. Wind Cave has about 90% of the known boxwork formations in the world. The cave is huge, so far about 147 miles have been mapped and they are still finding new areas. We went on an 1 ½ hour tour and saw several different kinds of formations that were just beautiful – I especially liked the “frostwork”. Unfortunately, my pictures don’t do them justice so you’ll have to take my word for it or come visit yourself! :)

He was curious about the paparazzi.
Aptly named Frostwork formation in Wind Cave.

 
Large formation of Boxwork. Think of it as the mortar that's left after the bricks dissolve.

Close-up of the Boxwork.


The hike, Lookout Point Loop Trail, was a nice ramble along a creek, across some prairie and then with the car literally in sight – we were stalled by another bison. We had to cross a small bridge across a creek and he was standing about 30 feet from the bridge. I am convinced that the problem is Rog’s wardrobe. For the last two Bison encounters, he had on his favorite red shirt and you Star Trek fans know what that means for the away team. Who knew the Dakota bison were Trekkies?! Lol. We debated just getting wet, but since he was facing the other way we decided to “sneak” across the bridge as quickly and quietly as possible. It worked and the “away team” all made it safely back to the trailhead. Lol.  

We followed the creek.
Cool and inviting on a hot day.
And crossed the prairie.
Make a wish...
The prairie is full of life ...
... if you look closely enough.
And of course, there is always a bison! :)



5 comments:

  1. What no Bison "Selfie"? I am sure the Bison was just upset that you didn't take a selfie with him and he had his back turned to pout.

    Cool butterfly and grasshopper picture! Which camera did you use to grab those?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. Pouting I can deal with - stalking is a tad creepy. Those guys are BIG. :)

      I used the new "pocket camera" (Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50) that I got at Costco for both of those shots, actually for all my shots so far. I haven't even taken my Nikon P600 out of the RV. I am loving it and carry it everywhere.

      Delete
  2. Ok stop the bus (rasberry rhubarb jalapeƱo pie) aaaa who are you and what have you done with my sister!!! Sorry but has uuugggkkk written all over it for me not my cup of tea or in this case pie lol seriously though the views are amazing i feel like I'm cheating i get to see the pics and you do the walking loving it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, no worries. I'll eat your piece! LOL. It was good, just a tiny hint of jalapeno to liven up the raspberry rhubarb. Glad you are enjoying the pics - I have to do the walking or I don't get any pie! ha.

      Delete