Tuesday, August 2, 2016

It was the best of times, and the worst of times…

Note: This was a tough post to write. I promise the next one will be lighter and have lots of gorgeous pictures from our Mt. Thielsen hike. 
   ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Everything was going great – the grand adventure was underway! The coach was running great, the weather was perfect, Callie was a happy dog, and there were good times with family and friends – and then things went sideways in a really bad way.  


We noticed Wednesday evening that Callie was shivering a little, which was odd, but otherwise she seemed fine. Thursday morning she went out as usual, but had the runs and didn’t want to go walkies. We thought she might just be suffering from the heat and a little dehydrated. We kept her in camp and kept her cool, but she got steadily worse throughout the day. By evening she couldn’t get up or walk on her own so we found the closest 24-hr emergency vet clinic in Bend, OR., about a 1 ½ -2 hr drive away. When we arrived around 12:30 am Thursday, Callie had a fever and they immediately got her on fluids and antibiotics. Her blood work showed that her platelet count was dangerously low. Rog and I spend a sleepless night at a motel in Bend.  

The Emergency Vet Clinic kept her on IV fluids and did repeated tests to monitor her blood chemistry. In spite of treatment, her platelet count continued to plummet and her kidneys started to fail. I stayed at the clinic while Rog drove back to the RV to bring back supplies for another night in a motel. By Friday evening she was worse, with fluid in her chest making breathing difficult.

The vet was unable to determine the underlying cause and gave us some treatment options. But she was brutally honest that the prognosis was not good and if it was her dog she would consider euthanasia. Rog and I spent time with Callie and then did some serious soul searching. I really was not ready to let her go, but it came down to what was best for her – not us. With little/no hope of recovery, we made the decision to make her end as easy as possible. We held her and loved her and she went gently on without us.

I know that many people won’t understand, that she was “just” a dog. But she was an important part of our family. She was the puppy sister and right now there is a Callie-sized hole in our hearts and lives. Callie – I miss you so much. I miss your belly traps and happy dance. I miss stepping over the blonde speed bump in the middle of the floor. I miss celebratory drinkies and dinner together. I even miss your sloppy chops and hair bombs. Most of all I miss your unconditional love and devotion. You were truly special and will always have a place in our hearts. 

Callie
Best Puppy Sister Ever
2008 - July 30, 2016



4 comments:

  1. Oh Teddi and Roger, I am literally crying as I write this. I am so sorry Callie's gone. She's on the other side of that rainbow bridge now, so glad I got to meet her before she crossed... Elaine (sorry I don't know how to get my name on this profile yet.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elaine. The coach is so empty without her. We knew she might not make it through the year, but to lose her so soon was hard. I am really glad she got to come along, she loved to travel and was a happy girl until the end.

      Delete
  2. Teddi, I am so sorry about Callie. Even just meeting her the once I could tell what a sweet, special soul she was. sending you and Rog hugs ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth. Yes, she was a special girl and we really miss her. Hugs are appreciated. :)

      Delete