Sunday, August 28, 2016

Bones of the Earth

We chose the Harney Peak loop as our “big” hike for the Custer area – about 8 miles roundtrip starting in Custer State Park and hiking to a lookout tower on Harney Peak in the Black Elk Wilderness. Harney Peak is the highest point east of the Rocky Mountains and west of the Pyrenees in Europe at 7,242 feet. It was a lovely trail that started out in a pine forest and wound its way up past fantastically huge granite spires to an old stone fire tower constructed in 1938 by the Civilian Conservation Corp. The fire tower lookout is no longer in use but is open to hikers and provides phenomenal views all around (and NO bison!). The granite pinnacles and formations look like the bones of the earth peaking through. As fantastic as the views were however, I spent a lot of time looking down. No, I’m not depressed – it’s the rocks!


I have a confession to make. I am suffering from serious rock lust. This whole area is just littered with the most amazing hunks of gorgeous rocks. Huge aggregate boulders with beautiful inclusions, agates, and pieces of white and rose quartz the size of bowling balls are just lying around. Even the stone building blocks in the fire tower had me oohing and aahing. Flecks of mica gleaming like silver fish scales were scattered all over the trail.  My fingers literally twitched with desire to pick up the sparklies. But if I start, I’m afraid I won’t stop!  With a whole year to travel, I can imagine the CRV’s butt would soon be dragging down the road loaded full of rocks. Lol.  So I am exercising extreme self-discipline. It helps that picking up anything in the National Parks is a no-no, however the National Grasslands Ranger did mention that there you are allowed to collect 25 pounds of rock per day. That was not very nice of her! Arrrrrrgh. To provide further temptation, there are “Rock Shops” everywhere! We visited a few, but I managed to keep the damage to a minimum. Lol.


That teeny, tiny bump is the Harney Peak Fire Tower.

Granite sentinels line the trail.


The trail winds up (why is it always up??)...

...and up more steps carved out of the granite.

But we are enjoying the journey...
...and the views are worth it!
Getting closer!
View from the top - Yessssss!
Feels like you're on top of the world.
Bones of the earth.
Hikers have adopted the Native American practice of leaving prayer cloths.
I want, I want, I want.  :)

Even the building stone is calling to me.
Giving you a little perspective.

More gorgeous views on the way back down.
Enjoyed the cool forested part of the trail - looks a little like home. 
The trailhead was near beautiful Sylvan Lake.
Even in town the rocks are calling to me!

Rose quartz.

Rock lust .... must not give in. :)

4 comments:

  1. Looks like a really pretty area and hike. I can just imagine you with all the rocks. :) My prrrreciousssss...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. Yes, you nailed it. I really had the worst time not filling my pockets..and my backpack.. and Roger's backpack... Decided it was better not to start than try to curb my addiction later. The Black Hills is a really nice area, you could easily spend several weeks just around Custer. Did you decide yet if you're going to head to TRNP?

      Delete
    2. I don't think I will be doing TRNP this time. Mike and I are caravaning towards home today, with a stay at Wanapum tonight. We will get home to your place on Wednesday. I did let Randi know we were headed that direction.

      I am still thinking about doing part of Mikey and Glen's Palm Springs trip. It would be about 4 weeks, leave 9/16 and head South; visit with Rian, and then on to Palm Springs. After PS heading up to Bryce, Arches, and Canyonlands, then to Lagoon amusement park in Utah, and then back to Seattle.

      Delete
    3. That sounds like lots of fun too! We thought about trying to add Cedar Point Amusement Park in Ohio (lots of big, big roller coasters) to the itinerary, but it just doesn't look like we'll manage it this time around.

      Delete