 |
| Lover's Leap - Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore. |
We crossed the Mackinaw Bridge
on Friday, 7/10, and were officially in the Upper Peninsula. It’s absolutely
gorgeous, but bring your bug spray! Lol. It's a toss up which I hate worse, mosquitos or biting flies. We had plenty of opportunity to decide. I think I'll go with, whichever one is currently stabbing or biting me!
 |
Crossing Mackinaw Bridge to the Upper Peninsula. (Have I mentioned that I really hate tall bridges in the RV? Lol.) |
We had two nights scheduled at Bay Furnace Campground in Munising, MI. Prior to our arrival, we’d
looked at options for seeing Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore. While there
are hiking trails along the lakeshore, the consensus was that the best way to
see the famous formations is from the water. We could either see a lot from a
tour boat or a little from a kayak tour. We opted for the sunset boat tour, it
was sold out for Saturday, so we made our reservations for Friday evening.
 |
Pictured Rocks Cruises is the authorized concessionaire and offers a variety of boat tours. |
In 1966, Congress authorized
the first national lakeshore. Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore protects a
portion of Lake Superior’s shoreline, watershed, beaches, cliffs, and dunes.
The park is just over six miles across at its widest point and covers more than
40 miles of shoreline. The name Pictured Rocks comes from the streaks of
mineral stains decorating the face of the cliffs. The streaks occur when
groundwater seeps out of cracks in the cliff face. The dripping water contains
iron, manganese, limonite, copper, and other minerals that paint the cliffs
turning the buff sandstone into an artist’s palette.
 |
| A lone paddleboarder in front of the Painted Rocks cliffs. |
 |
| The colors are phenomenal! |
The boat tour that we booked
(Classic Sunset Boat Tour with Pictured Rocks Cruises) traveled 33 miles roundtrip
and lasted about 2 ½ hours. It took us past 15 named formations, lots of
interesting sea caves, and many areas where the mineral stains paint the cliffs
in beautiful colors. The crew provided lots of interesting information about
the formations and Lake Superior, which is the world's largest body of fresh water by
surface area, covering 31,700 sq miles. Come along with us on the tour! Here are the highlights and I did my best to match the pictures with the formation names. Yes, I took notes as the captain narrated, that's how much I love you. Lol.
 |
| Each Channel Lighthouse, circa 1856. |
 |
| Sea caves carved by the waves, most are 10-12 feet deep. |
 |
| Miner's Castle is 80' tall. |
 |
A kayak tour checks out Bridal Veil Falls on the right. We were told the falls are much more impressive in the spring. |
 |
| Painted Cove. |
 |
| Caves of All Colors. |
 |
Another shot of Lover's Leap. (Don't jump, it's only a couple of feet deep here!) |
 |
| Rainbow Cave. |
 |
| Indian Head. |
 |
| Grand Portal. |
 |
| Battleship Rocks. |
 |
| Flower Vase. |
 |
| Indian Drums. |
 |
| Chapel Cove. |
 |
| Chapel Beach and waterfall. |
 |
Chapel Rock. (Are you noticing a theme? Did they just run out of ideas? Lol.) |
 |
| Sunset Cruise selfie! It was a breezy, chilly ride but well worth it. |
 |
We noticed this diesel pump on the dock. I sure would love to fill up the RV here! |
 |
| And here's the sunset part of the Sunset Cruise. :) |
 |
| Beachcombers silhouetted on the shore of Lake Superior. |
Bay Furnace Campground had lovely wooded sites just a short walk to the lake. There were no hookups,
but since the temps were moderate we assured the pups that they would survive
without their air conditioning. Lol. We did a quick reconnaissance of the beach,
it was sandy along the shore but too rocky for Riley to walk out very far into
the lake. He does not like the rocks at all, but I sure do! The Great Lakes are
a mecca for rockhounds, with Lake Michigan and Lake Superior at the top of the
list.
 |
| Orange Hawkweed bloomed all around our campsite. |
 |
| Riley wasn't thrilled with the rocks, but I was! |
On Saturday, we found a
little trail through the woods that took us to a secluded beach close to our
campsite. We decided to have a down day, so we packed our chairs to our
“private beach” along with snacks and beverages. The pups had a blast! Carole
and I hunted for agates and cool Lake Superior rocks. Lake Superior agates are
highly sought after, but I just pick up whatever catches my eye. You can take
25 pounds of rocks per year, and I’m sure I’ll have no trouble filling my
quota. Lol. The water was so calm and
clear, I walked out quite a ways hunting for rocks. Raney was either very curious,
very concerned, or thought there was something edible involved because she walked
all the way out to where I was. She was way past her comfort zone, so kudos to our
brave girl. It was a wonderful, relaxing day and a good time was had by all!
 |
| A short jaunt through the woods... |
 |
...and we were at our "private beach". Woohoo!
|
 |
| Raney usually doesn't go in past her ankles. What a brave girl! |
 |
| Ruby takes a break on the beach. |
 |
Bald Eagle soaring over the beach. We put Ruby on a short leash while he was around. |
 |
| Branch Manager is on the job. Lol. |
 |
| Riley loved the sandy beach, the rocks not so much. |
We have another National
Park coming up, although this one is a bit tricky to get to. We only have
two options – boat or plane. Do you know where we’re headed?
No comments:
Post a Comment